Not a Human Problem
- If soul evolution is a fact, it is not a human problem. A single human mind cannot thwart the cosmic process. We cannot influence the flow of a river, and the flow of the soul is much more powerful than a river.
- The belief that we can encourage or hinder soul evolution is a declaration of two powers rather than one.
- It’s not the soul, but our perception of the soul that is affected by our thinking.
- Why don’t we experience our completeness? The spiritual evolutionist attributes this to spiritual immaturity, the soul must learn more.
- Learning doesn’t change an object, it changes the way we understand the object. Our thinking never made the earth flat.
- Our view of the soul affects the way we approach everything concerning the soul. If we hold that the soul is complete, we open our mind to the light of the soul. We embrace as ours already the guidance, healing or prosperity we pray for.
- As the earth has always been round, so the soul has always been complete. Our spiritual ignorance has no impact on the actual condition of our soul.
The Ugly Duckling Revisited
- The little swan’s life didn’t work as a duck. Our life doesn’t shine until we affirm our soul’s completeness. Otherwise, we approach life as if we lack and every experience has something to teach us. We’re acting as a duck who lives with the hope of becoming a swan. We look to outer conditions to give is what we lack.
- We’re not here to get something from earth life. The soul is complete without earth or a body. We’ve come to give from our wholeness.
- Our perception is heavily influenced by earth and the birth and death of the body. Nearly all of our prayers are centered on body-related needs.
- We experience day and night because we are earthbound. Rise above the earth and the illusion of day and night (time) disappears.
- The prime obstacle to successful meditation is a mind consumed with body-related events. We spend most of our time thinking about some aspect of the body’s needs.
The Fact of Physical Evolution
- Biological and geological evolution are undeniable facts.
- Materialistic science insists that life arose from matter, but it can offer no evidence that this is true. They say, “it just happened.”
- Some scientists insist that life is not an accidental byproduct of physics, that a conscious observer is required to “resolve into one state” even a pre-life earth.
- Is science coming full circle in that the soul and its consciousness is a stand-alone, fundamental element permeating all aspects of our universe?
Adapting to the Environment
- The metaphysical community, out of respect for the disciplined methodology of science, has mingled biological and soul evolution into a logical marriage. The metaphysician holds that a “perfect man idea” is evolving through the body, driving the process of evolution.
- Science attributes evolution to the adaptation to the dynamics of a given environment.
- The hard-core metaphysician insists that our physical adaptation is an inside-out process. In truth, the forces that shape our bodies are not spiritually but environmentally driven. It’s the body, not the soul, that must be compatible with the environment.
- Our state of mind affects the condition of our body, but we should not confuse our state of mind with our state of soul.
- “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s [the realm of matter], and to God the things that are God’s” [the realm of spirit].
The Body Will Never Express the Capacity of the Soul
- The body will never express the capacity of the soul. Comparing the capacity of the brain and body to the soul is like comparing a tide pool to the ocean.
- We pay a price for taking on a body, but we can’t experience this plane otherwise.
- Trying to make the body perform like the astral body (soul) misses the purpose of the body. Our spiritual body cannot interface with the material plane. We take on a body so we may do so.
The Body is a Choice
- We understood the drawbacks of taking on a body. This doesn’t mean we were aware of all the problems we would have, or that these problems would provide the means for further advancing the soul.
- If the soul is not here to learn, then why go to the trouble if incarnating? For reasons of our choosing, we wanted the experience.
- Because the body is subject to “rough roads and all kinds of foul weather,” much of our attention has shifted to the body.
- The evolving soul model makes the spiritual experience about the vehicle, its journey and the belief that we will one day arrive at some special destination on this earthly sojourn. The truth is, we have arrived. Earth was our destination.
- Saying we choose to incarnate does not mean we choose specific challenges – abusive parents for example. The challenges simply come with the choice of incarnating. Dysfunctional people have nothing to teach the soul. Assigning them the role of teacher is often an attempt to put a positive spin on destructive behavior we struggle to forgive, a willingness to blame ourselves so we can let them off the hook and move on. We didn’t need the dysfunction or negativity of others to enrich or advance our soul.
Past Life Memories
- Our past life memories are likely embedded in those things that truly interest and come most natural to us. These are the things we quietly and reverently give our time and attention to without pay, persuasion, or recognition.
- It’s our associations of soul with body — our body-based self-image — that make our body-oriented challenges feel so personal. We mistakenly associate these challenges with the condition of our soul, but a clear understanding of the difference spares us this unneeded stress.
- Saying we choose to incarnate does not mean we choose specific challenges, like abusive parents. The challenges simply come with the choice of incarnating. Dysfunctional people have nothing to teach the soul. Assigning them the role of teacher is often an attempt to put a positive spin on destructive behavior we struggle to forgive, a willingness to blame ourselves so we can let them off the hook and move on.
- We didn’t need the dysfunction or negativity of others to enrich or advance our soul.
- We’re not here to work our way through the school of soul development, or to pay some karmic debt. You and I are here because we made the choice to be here.